Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Trail 26: Marsh Creek Trail

08/23/2012.  8:20 AM.

Start:  GPS N 35, 49.732, W 78, 35.985
End:   GPS N 35, 49.352, W 78, 35.486

The Marsh Creek Trail intersects with both Ingram Drive and Glenraven Drive, but the easiest access point is from the parking lot for Brentwood Park. The Marsh Creek Trail runs along the eastern boundary of the park, then continues on a short distance beyond. A small bridge across the creek connects the trail to Glenraven Drive, and about 100 feet later, the trail comes to an abrupt end.  There is room for an extension of the trail, and there is a vague footpath that continues on along the creekside, but the morning was wet and the grasses were fairly tall, so I did not explore it.

The morning started slow, with very few birds making an appearance in the open.  During the first hour, I only saw four different species. After about 9:15 AM though, activity picked up and I began to see a nice variety of birds. The morning was partly cloudy and the temperature was in the low 70s when I arrived.  It was mostly sunny by the time I left at 10:45 AM.

Birds Sighted During First Hour:

Ruby Throated Hummingbird:  GPS N 35, 49.751, W 78, 35.890. I saw hummingbirds in three different places in the park and along the trail. Brentwood Park has a number of "islands" of flowering plants, which probably attract them.

Gray Catbird:  GPS N 35, 49.765, W 78, 35.890. This bird was calling from a fairly dense line of bushes along the edge of the trail.  I finally got a look at it when it briefly came to the ground.

Northern Cardinal:  This bird, too, was being rather cryptic in the same set of bushes as the Grey Catbird.  Later, a couple in the park told me that a large hawk likes to hang around the area, so maybe the birds have learned to stay hidden in the morning until they know the hawk is not around.

Tufted Titmouse:  GPS N 35, 49.682, W 78, 35.851. I have not seen one of these for several outings now.  In the winter, they were among the most common.  I do think that I hear them from time to time, but they seem to be more cryptic in the summer.

New Species Sighted After 9:15 AM

Red Bellied Woodpecker: GPS N 35, 49.681, W 78, 35.915. I believe there were two of these, though I only saw one clearly enough to identify it. They were in the stand of trees toward the southern end of the park where the fenced in baseball diamond is located.

Carolina Chickadee:  Same place as the woodpecker. I was also surprised at how few of these I saw, given their usual numbers.

Eastern Bluebird:  GPS N 35, 49.707, W 78, 35.945. There was at least one adult and one juvenile in the park, perhaps more.

Blue Gray Gnatcatcher: GPS N 35, 49.704, W 78, 35.919. Two of these were seen in the brightly flowering trees along a path that cuts across the middle of the park.

American Crow:  Saw this bird fly over when I was watching the Blue Gray Gnatcatchers.

House Finch:  GPS N 35, 49.772, W 78, 35.946. Perched on fencing around one of the playing fields.

Blue Jay:  GPS N 35, 49.824, W 78, 35.917. Saw at least three of these as they moved across the park on their way somewhere else.

Downy Woodpecker:  GPS N 35, 49.608, W 78, 35.817. There was a mini-flurry of bird activity in this one spot, beginning with this woodpecker.

White Breasted Nuthatch:  Same area as the woodpecker.


Possible White Eyed Vireo:  This bird had a longish body and fairly long tail.  The most distinctive thing about it was the golden yellow coloring along the shoulder area just under the wings, and some yellowish color along the tail.  I saw it for only a few seconds, and could not get a positive identification from my books or iBird App.  The White Eyed Vireo seems closest, but my experience with the juvenile Eastern Bluebird last outing means that it could be a juvenile of a species that normally has more yellow on the body in adulthood.

Black and White Warbler:  GPS N 35, 49.615, W 78, 35.822.  A new bird, both for the Raleigh Greenway list, and for my lifelist!

Northern Flicker:  GPS N 35, 49.741, W 78, 35.940.  Although I see one of these a lot in my backyard, I believe this is only the second time I have seen these while walking the Capital Area Greenways.  Both of the individuals I saw had the telltale black moustache indicating that they were males.  Perhaps a parent and maturing juvenile?

The total for this outing was 15 species, excluding the possible White Eyed Vireo. This outing brings the Capital Area Greenway list to 60 different species sighted.


No comments:

Post a Comment