Thursday, February 2, 2012

Trail 9: Sawmill (Mine Creek) Trail

01/29/2012.  10:03 AM.

Start:  GPS N 35, 52.899, W 78, 39.183
End:   GPS N 35, 52.257, W 78, 39.115

The name of this trail is a bit confusing.  Google maps lists it as the Mine Creek Trail, while the official map for the Capital Area Greenway calls it Sawmill Trail.  TrailLink suggests that the name for all five segments of the Greenway in this area is Mine Creek Trail, while the short northern segment is the Sawmill Trail.  Whatever it's name, the trail is unpaved, but eventually intersects with a paved trail called the Bent Creek Trail.  That intersection was my turn around point for the day.

The Sawmill Trail begins just west of 401 Sawmill Road on the south side of the street. The road is wide enough to park right next to the trailhead, but traffic moves rather quickly here so I chose to park on one of the nearby side streets.  All was fairly quiet when I first arrived, except for the road noise, though I did see a Carolina Wren moving around in the leaf litter off to the right of this picture.  For the most part, this portion of the trail, up to the second wooden bridge, was fairly quiet both times I passed through it.

I saw the greatest bird activity after about 11:30 AM, and quite a bit later in the day than has been true for most of the other trails visited so far.  It seemed as though woodpeckers were everywhere after about noon.  In some cases, I may have been seeing the same birds multiple times, but it was nice to see them in so many places.


Birds Sighted Between Trailhead and Second Bridge

Carolina Wren:  GPS N35, 52.899, W 78, 39.183.  Just to the right of the trail entrance.

Hairy Woodpecker:  GPS N 35, 52.828, W 78,39.199.  This is a new bird for both the Greenway list and my lifelist!  I have probably seen one before, but never had enough information to be certain that it wasn't a Downy Woodpecker.  This time, it flew in and landed close.  It stayed around for awhile, then called when it flew away.  I noticed the fairly large beak first.  According to the book Woodpeckers: An Identification Guide to the Woodpeckers of the World, the Hairy Woodpecker has a short streak of black color that follows the contour of the shoulder down onto the breast and connects to the black line that runs between the base of the beak and the wing.  The shoulder streak is not present in the Downy.  It was definitely visible on the bird I saw.  But perhaps the best confirmation came from the Sibley Birds App, which has recorded calls for all of the birds.  I used it to compare the Downy and Hairy Woodpecker calls, and was able to confirm the Hairy Woodpecker.

Birds Sighted Between Second Bridge and Fork in Trail:  Part of this section of the trail has fairly thick undergrowth, and was also a very popular area for birds. I saw my first sparrows of the day here after being on the trail for well over an hour.

Northern Cardinal:  N 35, 52.770, W 78, 39.230.  Saw two or three of these in this area.

Tufted Titmouse:  Several of these in the area.

Carolina Chickadee:  Saw at least four of these at one time.

Mourning Dove:  GPS N 35, 52.617, W 78, 39.292.  Saw a pair of these.

Red Bellied Woodpecker:  The first of many seen today.  I must have seen these in at least 6 or 7 places along the trail.  In one place, I saw two moving around together.


Dark Eyed Junco:  I think I only saw one of these, which is unusual.

American Crow:  GPS N 35, 52.522, W 78, 39.292. Saw three of these sitting together in a tree.  There may have been a fourth obscured by the branches.

Yellow Rumped Warbler:  Saw just one of these.

Eastern Towhee:  I think there were two in the undergrowth, but I only ever saw one at a time.

White-Throated Sparrow:  At least two or three of these.  Possibly more hiding in the undergrowth.

Blue Jay:  Just saw one.

Hawk:  GPS 35, 52.478, 78, 39.314. Got a brief glimpse of this hawk on the ground in a slightly open area before it flew off to land in a distant tree.  I didn't get a good enough look at it to be sure, but I thought it might be either a Red Tailed or a Red Shouldered after looking through my iBird Pro App.  I don't have much experience with hawks, and when it finally flew away from its distant perch before I could get close enough to pick out details, I was disappointed.  But see below.

Birds Sighted After the Fork in the Trail, Along the Creek:  This trail forks near its end, with one path following the rocky edge of the stream, and the other climbing to the ridgeline.  The fork is at GPS N 35, 52.335, W 78, 39.153.  Both branches intersect with the Bent Creek Trail a couple of hundred feet apart.

Red Shouldered Hawk: GPS N 35, 52.318, W 78, 39.115.  I was walking along the creekside trail just after the split when I saw a hawk land on a low branch.  It was partly obscured by trees, and with how easily I had scared the hawk away previously, I decided to be very careful.  So I hid behind a tree until I could get my Peterson's Guide turned to the right page, then I slowly began to move to a point where I would have a clear view. When I peeked out from behind a large tree, I saw not one hawk, but two, sitting side by side.  I took a good look at them through my binoculars, mostly from the back, then ducked back behind the tree to have a look at the book.  The white banding on the tail was the most helpful feature. When I peeked back out, there was only one hawk left. When it finally flew away, it made the distinctive call of the Red Shouldered Hawk.  I read that the Red Shouldered Hawk is usually solitary, but that it starts building a nest in February.  Given that it was the end of January, I wondered if maybe I hadn't witnessed an attempt at courtship.  On the return trip, I saw a hawk flying high overhead two or three different times.  I met a couple strolling down the path on my way back. They asked if I had seen any hawks, and said that they see them quite often on this trail. So this might be a reliable place to come find one.  This is a new bird for the Greenway list.

Birds Sighted on the Return Trip, Between the Fork and the Second Bridge: Birds were very active in this section of the trail between about noon and 1 PM.  I saw many repeats of birds I had seen before. Only new sightings are recorded below.

White Breasted Nuthatch:  GPS N 35, 52.582, 78, 39.249.

Downy Woodpecker:  GPS N 35, 52.634, W 78, 39.229.  Smaller bill than the Hairy Woodpecker seen earlier.  Another similar woodpecker was about 100 feet away. Presumably another Downy, but I couldn't get a good enough look.

I only spotted 16 different species on this outing -- a little less than usual -- but I did add a new bird to my lifelist and two new ones to the Greenway list. That brings the Greenway list total to 38 species. I also appreciated the natural feel of this trail, and the small number of people who seemed to be using it. All in all, an excellent outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment