Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Trail 4: Neuse River Trail (Part B)

12/22/2011.  9:45 AM.

Start:  GPS N 35, 55.952, W 78, 33.655
End:   GPS N 35, 55.069, W 78, 33.601

The access path from Falls River Avenue to the Neuse River Trail is several hundred feet long.  It passes between two rows of houses along the way.  Several of these houses have bird feeders in their yards, so there is quite a lot of bird activity.  I saw a Northern Mockingbird, several Dark Eyed Juncos, a House Finch, two Mourning Doves, and what I originally thought was a group of four Chipping Sparrows, but as far as I can tell, they aren't common winter residents in Raleigh, so I am probably wrong about that one.

Perhaps half a mile down the Neuse River Trail from the Falls River Avenue entrance listed above is another entrance with a decent-size parking lot.  The intersection of this parking lot and the Neuse River Trail is at GPS N 35, 55.829, W 78, 33.529.  If I had known, I might have made that entrance the end for last week's outing, and then started there this week.  That would have shortened the length of the trail for today's outing.  However, I saw quite a few birds along the access path from the Falls River Ave. entrance, whereas the area near the other parking lot was not very active, so I still might recommend starting at the 3500 block of Falls River Avenue to bird this section.

The weather was mostly cloudy and the temperature was around 65 degrees Fahrenheit at the start.  Is there anything better than birding in a t-shirt on the first day of winter?  Well, maybe a few things, but this was pretty nice. There was quite a lot of bird activity at the place where the access trail meets the woods just before the main trail, so I spent quite a bit of time there.  Some parts of this trail were strangely quiet, while others were quite active.

Between Falls River Avenue Entrance and First Parking Lot at GPS N 35, 55.829, W 78, 33.529

Northern Mockingbird:  GPS N 35, 55.802, W 78, 33.759

Dark Eyed Junco

Chipping Sparrow?:  GPS N 35, 55.881, W 78, 33.736 -  I was pretty sure this was a Chipping Sparrow, with drab winter markings, but according to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology range maps, they shouldn't be in North Carolina in the winter.  However, the BirdsEye App on my iPod Touch indicates there have been a number of recent sightings in the Raleigh area.

Turkey Vulture:  In Flight.

House Finch:  N 35, 55.898, W 78, 33.707

Mourning Dove

Red Headed Woodpecker:  GPS N 35, 55.917, W 78, 33.685

Northern Cardinal

Eastern Bluebird

Red Bellied Woodpecker:  GPS N 35, 55.941, W 78, 33.673

Tufted Titmouse

Black Vulture:  In flight.

White Breasted Nuthatch

Yellow Bellied Sapsucker:  GPS N 35, 55.941, W 78, 33.625

Carolina Chickadee

White Throated Sparrow:  GPS N 35, 55.903, W 78, 33.573

Song Sparrow

American Robin

Downy Woodpecker

Between the Parking Lot and Bedfordtown Drive Entrance:  New Birds Only

Yellow Rumped Warbler:  GPS N 35, 55.633, W 35, 33.241

I identified 19 species on this outing, including four species of woodpecker - Red Headed, Red Bellied, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, and Downy.  I'll have to check when I return home from the holidays, but I believe this trip added two new birds to my Capital Area Greenway bird count, for a total of 29 species.  The Song Sparrow may be a new one for my lifelist as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment